Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Expectations.

Celebrations of any kind for Isaac is met with expectations...big expectations.  Big expectations that usually can never be met. 

Yesterday was no exception. 

It was the 100th day of school, and I'm not sure what Isaac was expecting to happen.  What did happen though, didn't bode well and weighed heavily on his mind.

10 o'clock, way past bedtime, Isaac comes down the stairs.  He has big tears in his eyes.  In a voice chocked with emotion, Isaac says, " I just feel like we didn't get to celebrate the 100th day of school at all.  It wasn't even special."

As I tried to show genuine concern and compassion for this tragedy, I explained to him that everything can't be dancing bears and hippos with tu-tus.  In other words, I'm sorry, but you need to get over it and go to bed.

Needless to say,  I'm baking a " Happy 101th day of school" cake as I type this post.  A mothers got to do what a mothers got to do make her children happy right?



5 comments:

Shannon said...

Isaac obviously believes in "joy in the journey." He is lucky that he has a sweet, understanding Mom to help him celebrate. :)

Jaime said...

Good for you! I am the Room Mom for Truman's class & I bought crowns for them to color in class, but I had not idea the 100th day of school was such a big deal. ours is in a couple weeks, and I hope to make some sort of "big deal" about it because my boy is quite like yours and would probably be bothered if we didn't recognize it somehow. I'm thinking a mylar balloon with 100 on it will be just about the height of excitement. Post a picture of your cake. I might have to steal that idea.

Shareen said...

It must be hard for him sometimes to be a sensitive, emotional guy with high expectations, but someday those qualities are going to serve him well.

Shareen said...

p.s., Don't tell Isaac I got a good laugh out of his tragedy.

becky said...

indeed a mom does! :)