Thursday, July 12, 2012

Minnesota

Who knew Minnesota had so much to offer?  Beautiful spacious parks, Mall of America, running trails and biking trails everywhere and lakes with well kept beaches!  Despite that it was record highs all week long, I was actually picturing myself living there.  But who am I kidding...I really couldn't do the whole freezing winter thing. 



The trip up we split the drive into two days.  After driving about 12 hours we decided to call it quits.  We had our check list for a hotel to stay in: swimming pool, free breakfast, and workout room.  All 3 proved to be well worth it.  Especially the indoor pool, it was a perfect ending to a day in the car.

We had to stop in and buy some cheese curds.  Yummy!
What was not perfect was the sleeping that first night away from home.  I consider Jacob the lucky one on that account.  I slept in the middle of Isaac and Macey, which Jacob snoozed with Loraya.  Needless to say between the worrying about Macey falling off the bed, Isaac and Macey hitting me in the face countless times...it was one looooong night.  We roused that next morning ready to swim a little more, eat a whole lot and I enjoyed a quick run on the treadmill before leaving for Thomas and Kristin's house.

Jacob and I both found it amusing to find dead badgers on the side of the road rather then the dead deer that we are so accustomed to in West Virginia.  The dead badgers lead to Internet searches and you tube watching.  We are up to date on what's happening with badgers.  The kids were so excited to see the Minnesota sign!  We were almost there!

Our first week of activities started at the Zoo, which was free!  Yay for free!  But boy was it hot!  Poor Macey had sweat dripping down her face most of the day.  Here are the kiddos ready for a hot day at the zoo.

We found any shade we could find.  Made a icee stop at one point to keep the kids hydrated and happy.  But, hotness aside, what a fantastic zoo!

The zoo also included a small amusement park.  So, rides were rode. 

I think we all looked forward to the end, which we put the kids swimsuits on and let them run around in the splash zone. 



After returning home and re cooperating a bit, we headed out to a beautiful lake and enjoyed dinner.  The lake had a fantastic beach area for the kids to play in as well as a playground. 

Day two we drove into downtown Minneapolis and enjoyed the air conditioning of the Children's Museum.  Here Kristin is putting of a puppet show for Mason and Macey.
Face painting....

watching the kids having fun...




 Water play was Macey's favorite.



I'm getting my days mixed up, but the latter part of one of the days we visited there beautiful falls.  Ice cream was consumed and to top it off we enjoyed this amazing park.  A disc golf course that was perfect for Loraya and Isaac was there as well.  Another great evening.



Happy 4th of July!  We headed down to the lake and spent most of the morning and early afternoon there enjoying the sunshine and tepid lake water. 



Both Macey and Mason had a well needed nap in the afternoon and the boys aka Jacob and Thomas took Lo and Isaac disc golfing.

Once the kiddos were up we walked over to the park and enjoyed some Independence day swinging.

homemade ice cream!!

Dance party...

And fireworks.  I have to mention how terrified Macey was of the fireworks.  She cried and cried and held on to Jacob and I so tight.  The kept saying how she wanted to go home and that fireworks were 'scary!'  So, I drove her home early and put her to bed. 


Mall of America!!  Did you know that MOA has an amusement park INSIDE??  Too much fun!  The kids LOVED it.  I took Isaac and Loraya on all the big kid rides. 


I didn't take too many picture of kids on rides, because they kind of all look the same...so you get the picture right?  It was fun.

That night Kristin got a babysitter for the kids and the adults enjoyed an evening out.
Sculpture gardens. 

geocashing!  so fun and it was exciting when we found our first one.  Jacob is signing our names here.


Friday was our last day in Minnesota.  Jacob and Thomas spent the morning disc golfing and Kristin and I enjoyed the Mall of America in the afternoon. 

Saturday we drove the whole way back to Morgantown.  It was a long day driving but doable and not horrible.  It was good to be home.

What a fun vacation!  Thanks so much Thomas and Kristin for letting us invade your house and being such wonderful hosts!  We look forward to doing it again next year?  :)







5 comments:

Shannon said...

It sounds like you guys had a perfect vacation, with a great variety of activities! I have always wanted to go to Mall of America. Girls trip?? :)

Kristin Rose said...

Thanks for coming and sharing your week off with us. We would love for you to come again next year!

becky said...

So many good pictures, its nice to get away and visit family at the same time! Looks fun and I could go for girls week at MOA lol, better start saving tho!

Shareen said...

Never would have thought of MN as a vacation destination, but it looks like good, old- fashioned fun. Btw, I love watching kids play at water tables. They tend to get in this zen place of play concentration. Cute.

Unknown said...

looks like you found lots of great ways to cool off from the heat!
so glad the kids traveled well and you enjoyed your time.
Fun to explore a new place, too! wish we had some time together this summer :(