Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Internet, Good or Bad?

Well, it's been about a week and we still don't have our computer fixed.  Which means we haven't had internet for a while.  
Guess what, I don't miss it too much.  
Sure it's annoying at times.  Like when i quickly want to check the weather or see if anyone has emailed or whatever it is we do while we're online.  I don't spend all day on the internet or anything, but I do waste my fair share of minutes sitting in front of the computer.

I've noticed a few things since having NOT having access to the internet.

I'm ALOT more productive around the house.  Laundry is getting done, bathrooms are getting cleaned, dinner are being made...a lot more often then usual.

I'm reading a lot more.  Reading myself and reading to Isaac through out the day.

Jacob and I are spending the evenings together.  Rather then me downstairs on the internet and Jacob watching TV...we're watching TV together.  Usually I get the 7:30-8:00 time slot.  Jacob then takes over the remote at 8:00.  

I enjoyed taking a family walk on sunday afternoon.  I must admit this probably won't have happened if our computer wasn't broken.  

I'm using the phone a lot more.  I mean I actually have to do the old fashioned thing and call people using the telephone.  Rather then leave a message on facebook, or sending out an email. It takes a bit longer calling everyone, but it's nice.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm excited to get the computer fixed and running again.  I feel very out of touch with friends and family that are far away with out having Internet.  But, I may have to have a rule about how long I'm allowed on the computer each day.  

Could you go a week without checking your blogs, email, facebook.....whatever?  You should try it.  I was forced to do it, but found it to be quite nice.  

 

7 comments:

Linda Toolson said...

I think I could get along fine without the computer for a week. Even though I really enjoy reading the blogs. I would miss that, but for a week I could do it. I don't do much else on the computer--oh, I wouldn't be able to write to Elder Richardson. That would not be so good. Most of my emails are junk with only occasionally something good. But I sure do like it when there is something worth reading. Maybe, I wouldn't like it after all.

Unknown said...

for the most part, i am able to control the amount of time i'm on the internet. .. but i have some days that i waste a lot of time. a week off now and then is a good thing!!

becky said...

well, I work all day so I don't have as much chance to waste time, but I still do! I love browsing around in the evening (after dinner, and usually a load of laundry is done) looking at the blogs, reading my emails and other random sites I like to check. I am usually doing it while wasting time watching programs like American Idol etc... I guess I am wasting time on two things at once though (does that even make sense haha)

Shannon said...

I can, but I don't like it. Checking to see what's new on the blogs, and popping in to see who has updated 365, keeps me feeling connected. I have missed you! :)

Jaime said...

I could go without for a week, and I actually have. However, I would miss it. Recently I have limited the amount of time on the computer because I am not as productive as I should be, and I feel like I am being neglectful to my son. This is why I don't comment on every post that everyone does, because I just don't have the time. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Question, if you don't have a working computer, how did you make this post?

Julia Kelly said...

A friend's house. And right now i'm checking email at the library. :)

GaRNiTuRe said...

Hi- you don't know me but I found your blog through a friend of a friend's-- I just opened a little hair clip shop & thought you might like to take a look!
www.garnitureclips.blogspot.com

Enjoy!