Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ear Infections...antibiotics or no antibiotics?

So about ear infections...I got them a lot when I was a kid. Loraya has had a handful. And now Isaac is getting them too. My kids get a runny nose, then a few days later they spike a fever and then are up crying at night....usually it's an ear infection. My question is.....What if your kid has an ear infection and you don't take them to the doctor to get antibiotics? Does the ear infection go away? or does it get worse? Isaac has had symptoms of having an ear infection but I hate taking him to the doctor. Reasons being:

1. My insurance sucks....so if the doctor looks in his ears and its not infected...thank you very much that will be $60 please!
2. I feel like i'm always taking my kids to the doctor for ear infections...about half the time they are infected and the other half I'm a paranoid mom who takes her kids to the doctor when they have a runny nose.
3. Who really likes taking their kids to the doctor's office?? It's probably on my list of things that i dread the most...grocery shopping being up there too.

Anyways,...Back to my question. If Isaac does have an ear infection and he doesn't get treated what will happen?

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Ethan has had many, many ear infections. He ended up getting tubes put in his ears at 11 months old. I was told by my doctor that Chronic ear infections can lead to ear drum rupture and or permanent hearing loss. There were times when he would get new infections while already on an antibiotic for a previous ear infection. I treated it with Motrin...and my doctor gave us ear "numbing" drops to help with pain.
It's a tough call...I've always been grateful for antibiotics when they worked.
Priesthood Blessings always help too!

Julia Kelly said...

i guess it's always better to be safe then sorry...permanent hearing loss?? thats kinda scary!

Amanda said...

Our peditrican told us to wait one or two days longer than we would normally wait to call about a possible ear infection because sometimes they just go away and the body fights them off on its own. I dont know how much truth is in that because TJ has a stinky ear infection every time we turn around!!

Jenae said...

I would give you advice if I had any but we haven't crossed that bridge with Ethan yet. I am not looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so my doctor tells me that they don't like to treat ear infections as much as the used to because they're finding that a lot of them tend to be viral rather than bacterial (which is what the antibiotics kill). So they also said to wait a couple days to see if the body will fight it off naturally. Next time you take one of them in I would ask for a perscription for numbing drops. That way if they are freaking out in the middle of the night you have something to take away the pain and get some sleep. Then I would just treat it with ibuprofen or the numbing drops to see if it goes away, but then if it doesn't I'd make an appointment to see the doc.