Thursday, January 22, 2015

Mac and Cheese



It was the usual routine this morning.

Up at 6.  Feed baby.  Change baby's diaper.  Go for a run.  Wake up Lo and Isaac for school.  Make breakfast.  Make lunches.  Pack backpacks.  Scoot the kids out the door so we aren't late for school by 7:45.  Drive kids to school.  Try my best to fill their little buckets full before sending them out of the car door and into the school.  Kisses. Hugs.  Goodbye until 3:10 when school gets out and the excitement starts once again.

While I was making lunches for Lo and Isaac I had an interesting thought.

Lo was helping me make mac and cheese for their lunch.  Lo was doing most of the making and I was more supervising.  I told her after she added the water, the directions tell to stir the noodles and water together before putting them in the microwave.

 She responded saying, "Why do they have you stir it before you microwave it?  That's dumb.  I bet it doesn't matter if you stir it before."

I told her if they wrote it in the directions, its probably important that we stick to the directions.

But, that got me thinking.

How often do we 'skip directions' because we think we know best?  How much better could our relationship be with our Heavenly Father or Savior be?

If we skip the steps in making Mac and Cheese, who knows how much better that Mac and cheese would/could taste?   We are cheating ourselves out of some much more delicious tasting cheesy goodness.

Doing all we are asked (daily prayer, scripture study,...) might seem like a step we can skip and not feel a difference in our own lives.  But it matters.  I guess that's what I'm getting at.

IT MATTERS.

Don't skip out on those small things that can help bring you peace, comfort, love.

Now go make yourself some Easy Mac and Cheese.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

First, I have to say - I LOVE that you are blogging regularly again! And this message: TRUTH.

Shareen said...

You've got your next Primary talk or Sharing Time all ready to go!