Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Me? Obese?

Sorry for all these posts...but I must declare that TODAY IS THE DAY!

I think I am opposite of anorexic! I really don't think I am that big. But then I look at old pictures of me, and I look at me of pictures now....and it is very obvious have gained some weight. Yeah, I just had a baby, but I'm talking about BEFORE I got pregnant and then added another 35 lbs onto an already slightly large me. Today I calculated my BMI....OBESE?? Wow. I guess that was a reality check.

So, here I go on my weight loss journey. 58 lbs to be exact. I am not brave enough to post how much I weigh, but I will say I need to lose 58 lbs to get back to a healthy weight. Can I do it?? Yes, but it will take a while. Maybe by next summer I will be wearing those skinny shorts again.

How am I going to do it? Eating my fruits and veggies, portion control, exercise, drinking lots of water and stay away from all that Halloween candy!

I'm going to need encouragement people! Keep me motivated!

My husband and myself will thank you for it!!

13 comments:

Shareen said...

Having to think about weight & eating is no fun. I've lately become alarmed about how much heavier I am than when I was in college. I've gone so far as to buy a diet book. I've never done that before. If I get started on it and stick to it, I'll let you know how it is. We can be healthy together.

Linda Kelly said...

You can do it!! Just dig out all of those weight watchers manuals and helps and stick to it. It is always harder when you are the only one in the family doing this but your kids can eat healthy and so can Jacob. I need to loose 20 pounds too!! I will be in this with you all the way.

Erika said...

lets do it together! I need motivation too!!!

Kurt said...

That body mass index thing is completely bogus.

I have run 2 marathons in the last year and keep in good shape and that thing tells me that I am still overweight.

Go by how your clothes fit, not by some made up numbers that the government invented.

I have strong feelings about the BMI :)

Shannon said...

I am adding my vote for weight watchers - mainly because you can still have treats! I think this is the hardest time of the year to lose/ maintain weight, but if you can at least have a cup of 1-point Nestle No Sugar Added cocoa or 14 fat free bbq pringles (1 point) with your toasted red pepper/hummus sandwich, life is still worth living. :)

And Julia, for the record, every time I see you, you look beautiful.

McArthur Family said...

I love that you are going to do this a healthy way...no fad diets...just common sense. Fresh fruits and veggies, meat in moderation (all meals in moderation), weight training, and I gave myself a year and I loss 35 pounds and kept it off. I didn't try to do it fast, just adjusted my lifestyle a bit and it worked.

I wish you the best and know you can do anything you put your mind too.

And I must say, I would never think of you as obese! Crazy!

the straz fam said...

My family and I just stared our "Family Fitness Challenge" back up. We each put some money into the winner's pot and then we have a little chart where we get points each day for doing good things like working out, drinking 8glasses of water, eating fruits and vegetables, emailing each other healthy recipes, etc. You can also lose points for eating fast food, etc. After a few months the winner with the most points gets all the money in the pot! It has actually been a great way for us to all get into healthier habits and motivate each other. Let me know if you are intersted in doing something similar with your family and I can email you our chart for ideas.
Oh and after I had my last baby I started doing the Biggest Loser workout DVDs. They are actually really good and they will kick your butt!

Alexis said...

Hey, I'm right there with you. I still have some weight to go... about 20 lbs. I've lost 6 lbs being sick, but I wouldn't recommend that. I would rather be working out in the gym. We can work out together when I come out... I'll bring my work out clothes. I know that you can do this and you are going to look GREAT!

Tiffani said...

Have you heard of HcG, it's the pregnancy hormone that suposidly suppresses your appetite and you only eat 500 nutrition calories a day. You can only do it for 45 days at a time and I know it sounds crazy but people are having results. Check it out: yourhcg.com...i think.

Linda Toolson said...

Good luck Julia. Like most of your comments, I could certainly stand to lose weight. Coming here and being invited to dinners with members a lot has added on the pounds. I haven't decided to do anything about it just yet. January 1 is always a good time for me to get serious. However, I was trying to rationalize the other day, and I told myself that being a little plump in my old age might not be so bad.

Just remember it is a long journey you are on. You need to think of a reward for yourself as you meet weekly goals.

Unknown said...

isn't this the constant battle we all fight as women??
i keep telling david he needs to buy me a treadmill, or it will not be good for me this winter!!

you can do it! just make a life style change. . .not a diet! David and I cut out icecream and red meat 4 months ago. .. yes, I have not had ANY icecream for over 4 months now. and it isn't that hard anymore! (although I still crave a little treat now and then. . .)

Anonymous said...

I dont' think I can add anything that hasn't been said already. I will just add my good luck and it is a process. Even if you get tired of "dieting" maintain for a while then re-motivate yourself. I have had some friends who had great success with weight watchers but it did boil down to consistency and NO CHEATING.
becky

Amanda said...

I'll support you!! I need to lose about 30 myself!!!