Friday, October 23, 2009

Is it normal?



This is Isaac.
I sometimes forget that he in only 3 years old. He seems older to me.

Lets play a little game shall we? Lets play 'Is it normal?'
Here we go...
Is it normal?.....

That he talks non stop about the ABC's ALL day long?? Seriously. Spelling words, writing letters, what letter makes what sounds...the list goes on. Sure it's great that he is interested, ok obsessed with letters, but I wish we could talk about something else once in a while. It gets OLD.

That he is TERRIFIED of automatic flushing toilets?? We won't even pee if he sees it's an automatic flusher, he will hold it until we get home. Oh, and he has to have cover his ears whenever he flushes the toilet as well.

That he eats corn dogs EVERY day for lunch? I believe that really can't be too good for a person.

That he asks 'was I good?' after EVERY prayer that we say.

That he has a whole host of imaginary friends? James is probably his favorite imaginary friend. He is starting to blame things on these imaginary friends as well. Oh, and Isaac has full on conversations with himself....or maybe with all these imaginary friends. It can be pretty interesting listening to these conversations.

That he drinks his juice 'warm'? Juice must be room temperature and must be drunk with a straw. Juice that has been in the fridge is just too cold I guess.

The list could go on and on...maybe I'll save some for another post down the road.
BUT...

While some of these things probably aren't too normal, and drive me crazy, these oddities are what make me love him so much!

11 comments:

Linda Toolson said...

I guess Isaac will just have to join the group of our quirky grandkids. They surely do make life interesting.

Linda Kelly said...

I have personally witnessed the peeing incident where I had to hold his ears so he could go pee!! The alphabet does get tiresome sometimes but he just loves letters. That is what makes Isaac who he is!! I am sure he will outgrow some of these odd things. Let's hope by the time he goes to school!!

Pamela said...

Have you looked into Aspergers? These are all very characteristic of Aspergers Syndrome. Joseph is very similar...and he has Apergers. If these are serious concerns, you may want to look into it.

Shareen said...

Having imaginary friends is supposed to be a sign of an intelligent & imaginative child. That's a positive one!

Shannon said...

Appreciate the ABC's - I had to pretend to be the pink power ranger for three solid years, every waking moment! I didn't matter what I was doing (making lunch, folding laundry) as long as I agreed to be her and carried on a constant in-character conversation. There are worse things than the ABC's! :)

Julia Kelly said...

Shannon- i guess i should count my blessings! that is pretty funny though! :)

Amanda said...

TJ sings ABC's EVERY DAY ALL DAY!!! Plus he has imaginary friends to an extent and is a picky eater too...in addition he has made up his own language. WEIRDO KID!!! But I love him! I think Issac is completley normal!

Stacie said...

So the first two sound exactly like Brayden. He was completely OBSESSED with the alphabet too (minus the 45 minute bathroom ritual where Isaac goes through the whole alphabet listing every word he can think of that starts with each letter:))AND the toilet thing. I couldn't get him to pee in an automatic flush toilet to save my life and I still think he plugs his ears when they flush. The corn dog thing is Andrew. He went for months eating only corn dogs for lunch, now it's chicken nuggets:) Yeah, I'd say he's as "normal" as any kid!:)

becky said...

We all have a list of odd traits. Luckily I don't have to make a list of them, or someone make my list for me (that would be really scary)

Laurel said...

That really is adorable. I love the crazy things these kids find interesting!

Twinmomwv said...

Beth has the same fear of flushing sounds! She won't go in an automatic flushing toilet either.