Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ups and Downs of Life

Life is a funny thing.

Life can bring so many moments of great joy. I've felt very blessed this year to have those moments of joy in my life.

- being able to bring another sweet baby into our family.
- potty training Isaac and him being able to stay dry through out the night.
- spending a girls weekend with my sisters and mom that I love so much.
- Jacob getting a raise at work as well as a promotion.

However, while life is filled with great joy...we are often reminded that 'there must be an opposition in all things.' I think when we are faced with these 'oppositions' we must decide how to respond. Do we give up? Do we become stronger?

Its tough that there are little guarantees in this life. We moved all the way across the country here to West Virginia to go to Dental School. I've felt time and time again that this is the right place for us to be. Just at church on Sunday I felt an over whelming feeling at peace and joy that Morgantown is the right place for our family.

So, if that's the case....why didn't Jacob get into Dental School? What are we meant to learn from this? Is there some other purpose to us moving here? To say that we were disappointed when we opened that letter in the mail from the dental admissions office is an understatement. It's still something that I can't talk about with out a fresh wave of tears.

Jacob can get A's in his classes now. Retake the DAT and get another good score. We can reapply and get our application in early for 2010. But, there is still no guarantees that he will get in for 2010. And then do we set ourselves up for even greater disappointment?

I love and support Jacob. Thank you for all your support and love as well. It looks like we're going to need those prayers and support for a bit longer.

18 comments:

Linda Kelly said...

So sorry to hear about Jacobs letter. We knew it would be tough to get in this year but he will have a better chance next year with fresh grades!! We love you all and wish you lived closer but you both have been learning lifes lessons and growing in so many ways. Luvs

The Jensen's said...

Julia,
Jacob and Josh will one day be the best dentist ever, because they both want it so bad and when that day comes it will have been soooooo worth it. Hang in there.
Love you Kristen
PS when are you due?

Unknown said...

that is hard. really hard.
i have been there and know how it feels.
it is good to see that you are counting your blessings, even in the hard times.
hang in there and know you have support from us!

Linda Toolson said...

This disappointment is indeed hard to take. We all had our hopes up. You are both such good people, I know something good will come up for you. In the meantime, keep your spirits up and remember your are loved. Don't give up on your dreams.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Oh, Julia. I'm praying for you guys. I know you've got wonderful things coming your way. I went private on my blog and I'm not sure if I added you. If you'd like to keep viewing my blog and I haven't added you yet, please send me your email at tara40bowen@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I shall be there for you girl!! So So Sorry. I hate that feeling. I am sure he will get in soon because he obviously has what it takes, the dental school will see that soon. I called you yesterday twice to see if you wanted to take the kiddos some where today. Call me when you get a sec so we can plan something.

Jaime said...

Julia & Jacob, I'm sorry to hear about this. Be reminded that you are there for a reason. You may not know it yet. There could be so many different reasons. If this helps, those young women need your example more than ever in their lives right now. So, try to keep your chin up, and know that something good will come of this. In time of course. Take care!

The Terrell Family said...

I'm calling you - now! So sorry!!

the straz fam said...

First of all...congratulations on your pregnancy!! That is so exciting and I totally understand the laziness. My baby is four months old and I STILL feel lazy (hmmm...maybe it wasn't the pregnancy, maybe it's just me!)

Also, so sad to hear that Jacob didn't get into dental school. You guys are an amazing family and only deserve the best. I hate when bad things happen and we can't see why they are happening...but somehow things always work themselves out and for a reason. Hang in there and we'll keep you in our prayers.

McArthur Family said...

Wow, do I totally remember those feelings. I'm so sad to hear he didn't get accepted. Was there any question about residency? If so, next year he should be a shoe in.

On a more spiritual note, I firmly believe the Lord leads and directs our lives for a purpose. I know that through trials of our faith, the we can draw closer to Him and also see His hand in our lives more clearly.

On a friendship note, I thank you for being such a dear friend. I love that you guys are here in Morgantown and that we've gotten to meet you. I love that you devote your time and talents to the Lord by serving in the YW and raising such wonderful kids. I love that you adore your husband! I love that you are honest and real. and I love that you've opened your house up to our couch =) thanks!

Julia, you are one of my favorite people. I will be praying for you guys.

Alexis said...

Boy do I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. It is a tender mercy to know that you are in the right place, but when you don't get what you went out seeking for it gets really hard to not get mad. Believe me after 2 (hopefully not 3) years of doing the same thing we have started to question if there was something else we were suppose to be here for and not school. Hang in there, and really if you want to chat/vent I am here.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about you. Love you and you're in my prayers. And congrats to Jacob for the raise and promotion!

Jenner said...

dang it dang it dang it dang it! i am SO sorry. i hate this news. i am so mad.

Twinmomwv said...

So so sorry! That is so frustrating. Maybe you're supposed to be in Morgantown longer than dental school takes?

becky said...

Ok,somehow I just lost my whole LONG comment I wrote. But I can't say anything that hasn't already been said and we love and care about you guy's too. I hope that provides some comfort, knowing how many people out there that care, I know that helps me and when that doesn't there is always a little retail therapy, haha (kind of). Anyway, hang in there, I don't know why life is so hard but one day we will have it all explained hopefully. Love ya!

Tonya said...

I don't know if this helps but....

most of the people I went to medical school with (medicine, not dentistry, but close) applied for at least 2-3 years before they were accepted. The admissions people said persistence was something that played a factor in their accepting them, because it takes that trait to succeed in the medical field.

Hang in there and good luck! BTW...found your blog while googling about Morgantown since I moved back here a year ago. So, I hope you don't mind a stranger rooting for you around here!

Shannon said...

Julia, I am so sorry. And sorry that I didn't see this sooner. Life is hard - no doubt about it - but you are a great example of focusing on the positive and being thankful in all things. Heavenly Father does hear you, and the Savior shares every sorrow.
I am praying for you, Jacob and your growing family always. love you.

Anonymous said...

That is a shame. I feel bad that you guys haven't got what you are working so hard for.
I will say this though- Dentistry is fine, but it is not all a rose lined path. I have had many experiences with it that have made me wonder "what in the world am I doing this for."