Saturday, August 9, 2008

Forgeting about myself.

We are still here in the hospital. And I'm forgetting about how much laundry I have to do at home. I'm forgetting about how dirty my house is and what rooms need vacuuming. I'm forgetting about how uncomfortable hospital beds are. I'm forgetting about missing our trip to California. I'm forgetting about not being able to tuck Isaac in at night and alone time with Jacob. I'm forgetting about all of my selfish needs and wants and just focusing on Loraya. My primary concern is now what needs to be done to get her better.

The biopsy results are in and Loraya has what's called post-infection kidney disease. BUT, it is a rare condition that could turn chronic, so additional treatment is necessary. We will start treatment as soon as possible here at the hospital. She will be taking 3 doses of high level steroids and one treatment of chemo therapy. Hopefully this will be all that will be required as far as treatment at the hospital. If this treatment doesn't cure Loraya, her case will be taken to the national level. Meaning, they have never seen this type of case before. We will go home Sunday, return Monday for more treatment..and continue treatment every other day for this coming week. The good news is we will be able to return home each night and sleep in our own beds and be together as a family.

Loraya will be on 6 different medications while at home, probably for the next few months or so. These medications will be controlling her blood pressure, eliminate swelling, give her body protein that she is losing through her urine, additional steroids to fight the infection in her kidneys..and so on.

Loraya looks great, and is in good spirits. Thank you for everyone that has called, emailed, came by to visit, We feel your prayers and love. Thank you.

15 comments:

Shannon said...

thank you for the update. I am so sorry, Julia. Are you doing a fast? If so, let us know and we will fast with you. Sending hugs and prayers for you all.

Linda Kelly said...

We are so glad they have finally decided to diagnose this disease. Hopefully the treatment plan will work and she can return to some sort of normal routine. I know you must be going crazy with all the changes in your life and trying to adjust to a new calling on top of this. The Lord will be by your side and you will find the strength you need to be a great mother and wife!! Our prayers are continually with you and your sweet family. If you need me to fly out I will be on the next plane~!

Laurel said...

Along with everyone else, I am glad they have a plan for treatments for Loraya. We will continue to keep her (and the rest of your family) in our prayers. Please continue to keep us posted. Xoxo

Unknown said...

I have been anxiosly awaiting an update. So sorry to hear you are still in the hospital, but hopefully the diagnosis is correct and the meds will get Loraya better. hang in there. we love you.

Unknown said...

I just read this and went back to read your previous posts as well. My goodness, your family has been through a lot this week! I am glad your family will all get to be together again and that the doctors are finally able to work towards helping Loraya get better. She sounds like she has been a brave little girl through all of this. We will be praying for her and your family, hoping for the best!

Shareen said...

I've been checking your blog regularly looking for an update. I'm hoping and praying along with everyone else that this plan is effective and clears everything up. I'm glad you'll all be able to spend a little time away from the hospital soon. Love you.

Leslie said...

Wow - I sure hope that all the treatments go well. We've been thinking about you guys. I'm sure it will be great to be home in your own beds. It sure makes you appreciate the little things.

When you get time again, will you please share how you found out Loraya was sick and some of the warning signs you saw.

becky said...

Wow what an ordeal. I guess you have figured out by now kidney disease is a very serious illness. My first job was on the kidney transplant/kidney failure unit at Swedish. That was a long time ago but I do remember some things. It sounds like she has some good doctors and they have a plan, although it sounds quite extensive. It is great that she is still in good spirits, that is one blessing you can be thankful for. Life is NEVER easy is it?? Hang in there (Loraya and the rest of you). We will continue to think about you and pray for Loraya and her doctors.

becky said...

And one more thing... I wish I lived closer so I could go and clean your house and catch up on all you laundry!! I would feel useful and accomplish something practical for you :(

Tiffani said...

Wow, I hope that everything goes smoothly with the treatment, poor kid. Isn't it funny how quickly our priorities change when something bad happens. That really makes you think, how important is the nonsense that we constantly worry about. I am glad that you can come home each night because there really is no place like home. Hang in there!

Jaime said...

We hope & pray that this treatment will work for Loraya. She is such a trooper, and you guys are too. We're thinking about you.

Alexis said...

I am so glad that you guys get to go home and get back to a some what normal routine. I am so grateful that you guys have medical help this time and don't have to worry about the bills and how much it is going to cost to get her better, what a blessing! our prayers are with you guys. I keep checking back every day for an update. Hugs to all of you guys!

Jenner said...

crying with you. love you and your cute family. i hope things get better asap. that is good you get to go home each night. loves from indiana.

Becky Jensen said...

Wow, that sounds scary. I hope she gets better soon. we will keep her and your family in our prayers.

McArthur Family said...

Wow, what a nightmare. I'm so sorry you are going through all this. You'll continue to be in our prayers.

much love- amber