Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dinner Time

Why is dinner time the worst part of the day? It's supposed to be family together time. A time to teach your children. A time to enjoy being together. Our family isn't quite ther yet. I'm hungry, kids are hungry and tired and my patience is usually running out. When i'm preparing dinner Loraya is saying she doesn't want what i'm cooking and that she wants chicken nuggets for dinner. Then Isaac is screaming crying "momma, momma" while holding on to my leg. As a last resort Cars or some other Disney movie is put on to entertain my out of control kids.

Somehow I get dinner ready and we're all sitting at the table getting ready to pray. Loraya always has to be the one who appoints who prays.....usually it's her or Jacob....never me for some reason. Isaac likes to "pretend" to say the prayer. By pretend he mumbles really quietly while folding his arms. Loraya doesn't like this. Loraya stops 6 or 7 times while praying and tells Isaac to be quiet and close his eyes. Ok, so we get through the prayer and then comes the real chaos.

Isaac HATES sitting in his booster chair and especially hates when I put his tray on his booster chair. He'll eat about one bite of chicken and then he'll say he's done and starts throwing a wonderful 22 month old tantrum. I'll then try to feed him and he will close his eyes...in hopes that the food will go away??...i'm not sure why. Loraya gets sent to time out at least once every dinner. Tonight Loraya got sent to time out because she wanted to have all of Isaac's cars at the dinner table. When Jacob put the cars away the melt down began and lasted for about 10 mins or so.

I'm just thinking happy thoughts and singing happy songs in my head so i don't explode. Now that we don't have a dishwasher in our house, I find that washing the dishes is extremely therapeutic. Then comes bedtime. And then we get to do it all over again the next day!!

Don't we love being a mother???

5 comments:

Amanda said...

this is what happens at my house too!!! haha!! But I dont put on Cars as a last resort, its the first thing in my arsenel!! It helps keep just that little bit of sanity while dinner is being made! Heck! How can there be love in the food if the kiddo's are screaming??!!!

Your cute Julia!! I love reading your blogs!

Tiffani said...

Well, I don't have much advice in this department but when you mentioned that all your kids wanted were chicken nuggets I was reminded of Jerry Seinfeld's wife on Oprah this week. Her kids are picky eaters and her solution was deceptively delicious! She mixes vegetable puree's with whatever she's making so that she knows her kids are eating nutritiously. Sneaky...I love it.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I don't have that problem at dinner. Usualy I am trying to get Brian's attention from the sports section. Sometime I miss a little noise.

Alexis said...

I feel for you Julia! You can try what we have done with Megan. What we cook is what is for dinner, if she doesn't want it, she doesn't eat. It seems to work so far. I'm sure that I have told you this before. It may take a little while before it starts working, but you will have to hold strong. You can call me for words of encouragment. As for kids bugging you while you cook, I put the movie on too, or give Megan something to color if she doesn't want to watch anything. Seriously, I don't think that I have mastered this at all, but I'm here for you, call me!

Nikki (Have Joy) said...

Ha ha. At least I'm not the only one :)